OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
From OneSwarm Wiki
Snow Leopard Java problems (and fix)
Update: OneSwarm 0.6.7 is now available and fixes most Snow Leopard compatibility issues. Download here
The OneSwarm annonymous filesharing client version 0.6.5 does not run properly on Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" because of compatibility issues between the 64 bit Java 6 VM and SWT, symptoms are:
- Connections will never handshake completely because packets sent by the user running 10.6 will not reach the network interface (except the initial ~20 byte handshake packet). Probable cause: not receiving write selects (?). Workaround below
- When double clicking on a torrent a window will pop up saying "file could not be opened".
- In the classic ui: Preferences will not show the values of the actual preferences, clicking in the box will cause the value to be shown.
Workaround for connection problem
In the terminal:
Get the java 5 that was included in 10.5 "leopard" and unpack
cd /tmp/ curl -L -o java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/isdal/snow_leopard_workaround/java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz tar -xvzf java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz
Move it to your System java folder (password needed)
sudo mv 1.5.0 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0-leopard
Tell OS X that java 5 actually is java 5
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ sudo rm 1.5.0 sudo ln -s 1.5.0-leopard 1.5.0 sudo rm 1.5 sudo ln -s 1.5.0 1.5
Open Java Preferences
open "/Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app"
Change the properties to use Java 5 32-bit by default:
This workaround fixes issues in other apps as well,
- Enables Google Web Toolkit (GWT) hosted mode (fixes the "can not run on OS X with Java 6 bug")
- Azureus (Vuze) download issue described here: http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=204672&tstart=0#204672
Fonality's HUD3 works after running these steps.
- Zend Studio versions 5.*: fixes problems with disappearing text while selecting.
In case your system depended on java 1.4: Here is how to get Java 1.4 running on snow leopard.
cd /tmp/ curl -L -o java.1.4.2-leopard.tar.gz http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/isdal/snow_leopard_workaround/java.1.4.2-leopard.tar.gz tar -xvzf java.1.4.2-leopard.tar.gz sudo mv 1.4.2 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2-leopard cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ sudo ln -s 1.4.2-leopard 1.4.2 sudo ln -s 1.4.2 1.4 open "/Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app"